What is Off-Page SEO?
Off-Page SEO are the SEO tactics that occur outside of your website. Some examples include, brand building, content marketing, social media and much more.
To build a strong competitive strategy you should include multiple off-page SEO tactics. More on the different Off-Page SEO tactics that can be used are discussed below (13 Off-Page SEO tactics).
Why is Off-Page SEO important?
- Helps increase your site rank on search engines like Google
- Helps establish brand identity and visibility
- Used to build your site's authority
The difference between On-Page and Off-Page SEO
On-Page SEO = Your Website
Off-Page SEO = Another site or platform
Technical SEO is also used to rank on Google.
The image below outlines the difference between these three core SEO approaches:
On-page SEO: covers the tactics that you use on your site that help search engines to better understand and rank your content. From creating great content on your site, optimizing title tags, meta tags, and h tags to internal linking, image optimization, and more.
Off-page SEO: include those tactics that relate to activities carried out away from your own website. Link building is often considered to be the main off-page tactic, but this also includes tactics such as content marketing, social media, appearing on podcasts, landing reviews, building local citations, and more.
Technical SEO covers those things that directly impact the indexing and crawling of your site by search engines. Some argue that this falls under on-page SEO. However, it is also widely considered a discipline in its own right: site speed optimization, structured data, canonicalization, hreflang, and more all class as technical SEO.
13 Off-Page SEO Tactics
Off-Page SEO is much more than just link building. Many SEO successes come from building a brand - think "brand-first" to build your brand's online presence by focusing on optimizing, creating content and ranking on non-traditional search engines like social media platforms.
These Off-Page SEO tactics can help build your brand and increase your organic search traffic.
1. Link Building
- Link building is weighed heavily in Google's algorithm.
- Objective of off-page SEO and link-building is to build your site's authority. This is achieved by getting links from authority websites "vote of trust".
- Focus on quality over quantity - Earn quality links from high-authority sites.
Three factors to consider when link building:
- The authority of links are important for link building. The more authority a site has the more impactful the link.
To find out the authority of a site that you would like to earn a link from or to look at the authority of links that currently point to your site visit Authority Score.
Authority Score measure the over quality of a website and tells you how impactful a backlink from a site can be.
It uses the following date to grade the authority of sites:
- The domain's quantity and quality (authority) of back links
- Quantity of referring domains and referring IPs
- Follow vs nofollow links
- Organic search traffic
- The number of users
You can use the Backlink Analytic Tool to:
The Authority Score appears in the first column header 'Page AS' - the higher the score, the higher the authority.
- Gain insight into the authority score of current links.
- View your site's links and authority score - in the 'backlinks' tab.
- Use it to prospect for new links - You can put any domain through the tool and find their authority score under the domain's overview tab.
2. Unique Domains
Another key factor in link building is the number of linking root domains that point to your site.
- Domain diversity should be a part of your link building strategy.
- Sites with a higher number of unique linking domains have higher rankings.
Use the Backlink Analytics tool 'the referring domains tab' to see the number of unique domains that link to your site.
3. Topical Relevance
- Aim to get links from sites that topically align with your site. Example: A travel site should aim to get links from other travel sites, tourism boards etc.
- Majority of your links should be from sites that cover related topics. Links from other topics are ok, as long as their reference makes sense.
For more information and various tactics you can use to build and earn authority links see: link building strategies that work in 2002
2. Brand Building
- Focus on brand building activities as part of your SEO/Marketing strategy and approach to off-page SEO.
How do you measure your brand building success?
Brand Searches - includes searches for your brand name, products and domain name.
- An increase in brand searches means a greater brand awareness and brand building success.
You can use Keyword Overview Tool and Google Trends to see how your brand searches have changed over time.
- Enter your brand name - the 'trends' box indicates how your search volumes have changed over the past month.
- Enter your brand name to track how interest in your brand has changed over time.
Other key benefits of brand building efforts:
- Important for brand SERPs - search results that show when someone searches your brand name.
- Helps search engines understand your credibility.
- Building a brand also helps you naturally earn links and mentions from others.
3. Content Marketing
Content Marketing can be used as both an on-page and off-page SEO tactic.
On-page content marketing - the creation and publishing of content that sits on your site.
Off-page content marketing - content that you create and publish externally. For example: writing a guest post is a form of content marketing that happens outside of your site.
To build your off-page content marketing:
- Create engaging assets that others want to share and link to.
Other Content marketing that helps promote and build off-page signals:
- Blog posts, infographics, surveys/studies/research papers and white papers/eBooks.
Tell people about your content - the Content Marketing Toolkit can help you: (1) find popular topics online that are gaining traction, and (2) find relevant media industries to promote your content.
Digital PR can be used as a link building tactic.
- A digital PR campaign is a great way to earn authority links at scale.
- You can earn a significant number of links by using PR tactics to promote a great story with linkable assets.
A good PR campaign can also help:
- Increase brand awareness and the number of brand searches.
- Puts your business in front of your target audience and gets them talking about you.
- Helps drive referral traffic.
- Positions you as a thought leader in your industry and helps build trust.
5. Local SEO (GMB and Citations)
For information on local SEO
Two key off-page SEO tactics:
1. Google My Business
Helps businesses and organizations manage their presence across Google, including Search and Maps
- Get your page optimized and get it to rank high on the Google map pack is a part of off-page SEO.
- Make sure your business shows up in local GMB results.
For more tips and tricks on how to use the platform optimally see: Ultimate guide to Google My Business for 2020
A citation is a mention of your business online that typically references your business name and your NAP (name, address, and phone number) - like a business listing.
- These citations are important, especially if you are a local business looking to rank for geographically targeted search terms on SERPs (search engine results page) and in the map pack.
- The key to citations is consistency - ensure all of your NAP references match up.
Use the Listing Management Tool to:
- Audit your citations
- Eliminate duplicates
- Find new opportunities
- Manage reviews
6. Social Media
- Maintain a strong presence on all social media platforms - this can help put you in front of potential customers either looking for answers to their questions or brands to engage with.
- People are using social media platforms as a form of search engine - treat your social media as search engines and discovery platforms.
- Social media is also used as a customer service platform - communicate professionally to questions submitted to your brand on social platforms.
- You can use large-scale forum platforms like Quora and Reddit or smaller-scale niche platforms.
- Get involved in forum conversations related to your niche - position yourself as an expert and show audiences your value.
- Take advantage of the ability to have open discussions with potential customers asking questions about what you offer.
- A good way to build relationships and trust - it requires minimal effort and commitment to build a community and level of trust from audiences on forums.
8. Influencer Marketing
Influencer Marketing has evolved overtime - bloggers doing sponsored posts, to Instagram, Youtube and, TikTok.
You can use Influencer market to:
- Build your brand
- Amplify your content
- Reach new audiences
Influencers can also help ensure that as a brand/business you are present and visible on social media platforms.
Note: Don't use influencer marketing to build links unless they are nofollow links. Links within sponsored content violate Google's Webmaster Guidelines.
Events can help contribute to your off-page SEO marketing strategy.
Online events like Webinars can help:
- Build your brand
- Engage with your audience
- Create buzz around your business, which in turn can drive social engagements and links.
- Obtain PR coverage
You can use Meet Up to host on online event.
10. Guest Posting
Guest posting is one of the most common and effective link building tactics.
Guest posting consists of writing as a guest on someone else's website to provide value and information to their audience.
Benefits of Guest Posting:
- Build your brand
- Reach new/targeted audiences and obtain targeted traffic to your site
- Position yourself as an expert in your field
Podcasts are continuing to grow in popularity and should be used in your marketing strategy.
- Gain competitive advantage - Podcasts are still a relatively new space and most businesses still aren't using podcast as a part of their marketing strategy.
- Reach new audiences, share your expertise and become visible on other search engines like Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Listen Notes.
- Target new audiences and build your brand.
For more information on how to start see this Podcast guide.
Reviews help you manage your online reputation
- Reviews help Google understand your site - it uses reviews to obtain brand signals that may increase your site's authority and rank in search.
- Great reviews also help increase conversions, drive buying decisions and build brand trust.
13. Content Syndication
Content syndication is when a publication syndicates content from other sources to supplement their own articles. This process helps publishers increase the amount of content that gets published to their site every day.
Example: Yahoo! - syndicates content from other sources
Content syndication can help:
- Increase your reach and readership
- Positively impact brand signals