Here are 6 steps to help reduce cart abandonment issues:
- Show Images: Display images (instead of just text) so customers know and understand what they are purchasing. This includes ensuring image thumbnails are also displayed in the customers shopping cart and checkout.
- Provide editing in cart: Allow customers to add/remove items directly in their cart. Customers who leave the cart may not return.
- Offer different payment methods: Some customers may prefer certain payment methods (e.g., PayPal) over others (e.g., credit card). Offering options increases the likelihood of payment.
- Avoid registrations: Including a registration step creates more steps for the customer. Allow them to checkout as a guest and remove this layer of work.
- Offer free shipping: Hidden, unexpected costs may deter customers from checking out. If possible, offer free shipping (or build the cost of shipping into the product price) to avoid these surprises.
- Display testimonials or reviews: Credibility helps. Provide confidence by showing testimonials or reviews to customers.